Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

#KelilingKorea Demilitarized Zone

I didn't get to visit northern part of South Korea during my #KelilingKorea trip so I went to Paju on Chuseok holiday instead!

I think the timing worked well, considering the weather. I enjoyed the trip although I was exhausted from the days before when I had to work on a project and sit for more than 10 hours daily.


The course started on 8.10 (departure from Seoul) and ended at 16.30ish (arrival in Seoul). DMZ area is located in Paju, less than 50km to Seoul. It was a memorable one-day-trip, probably the only time I got to be sooooo close to the North Korea's land. (or even accidentally stepped on their territory?)



You can see on the map above, Seoul is veryyyyy close to the border. We visited 3rd Tunnel, which was built by North Korea for a planned attack to Seoul. Fortunately South Korea found the tunnel before its finished being built, thus the attack did not happen. I was really fascinated with how the South Korea government managed and opened the tunnel for DMZ tourism, They provided monorail to access the tunnel (70m deep, very cold and wet) and built tunnel extension to make it easier for tourists to go down there. (ignore my grammar here) 


I went with my Indonesian senior. He actually asked me to come so that we can take picture of each other. Damn smart. But he didn't really need me as he was (unexpectedly) super skilled in taking selfie tho hahaha.

The whole trip was conducted in English and it was very insightful and very thrilling. I didn't like the super strict rules but I guess that's how they keep DMZ open for tourism. As expected, soldiers everywhere. Passport was checked for more than 4 times. We were only allowed to take pictures in super limited spots in super short time.



I liked how I could gain so much in one day and how everything that I've been reading on Korea's modern history finally made more sense to me. Like how significance Kim Daejung's Sunshine Policy was, how vulnerable Seoul is etc.

My favorite stop was Dorasan Station, a station that once designed to be part of Trans Korea Railway. I felt really touched and awaken. They were so close to loosen up the tense. There were times when chance of reunification was much bigger. I don't know how to put my feeling into words but seeing how they planned all... I am amazed.

One day I hope to see the civilians crossing the borders easily.
One day I hope to witness foreigners being welcomed to access Pyeongyang without any suspicion.


One day, I hope to hear the announcement in Dora Station saying, "The train to Pyeongyang is now ready to depart"

No comments:

Post a Comment