Pages

Friday, August 7, 2015

Mimi and Kelly's: My Favorite Vegan Cafe

Seoul (or Korea) in general is not a vegan-friendly place to live in. Being a vegan in Seoul could almost instantly mean starve yourself to death, fight endless craving for legit vegan dishes or use up all your paycheck for insanely expensive fruits and not-so-tasty green veggies.

Honestly, the vegan option in Seoul is not that bad. Seoul does have various vegan cafes, restaurants and bakeries. But the locations are generally spread out and Seoul is a big big city. Luckily, I got to live in Sinchon where I could easily walk to The Bread Blue and Loving Hut Sinchon. But my favorite has always been Mimi and Kelly's.

Mimi and Kelly's Insadong - Seoul 

Located in Insadong, my most-visited area in Seoul, Mimi and Kelly's is a newly opened small vegan cafe. Mimi and Kelly's provides comprehensive map on their Facebook so getting there was really easy although they don't have big sign. When I first entered the cafe, the place didn't really leave a deep impression since its relatively small and the menu was limited.


The impression stayed until I tasted their perfect Vegan Mac n Cheese. Yes, it was bloody expensive, KRW9000 for one portion but its worth every single macaroni and vegan cheese drop. I lost word for this creation.

Few weeks later, I came back after seeing their post on Facebook about limited vegan pasta with ingredients brought from Taiwan. There is no way I could miss it. Taiwan is definitely the Asia's Mecca of Vegan. 


I couldn't remember how much the pasta was but one thing for sure, it was so tasty that I kept smiling after finishing my precious cream pasta. I rarely upload food photos on Instagram but I uploaded this one (and not to miss my Facebook too) because I think the whole world should know how delicious it was. Vegan bacon was the bomb.

It only took me a few days after the phenomenal pasta until I decided to come back to buy their limited Vegan Hotdog, again - straightly brought from Taiwan. I was never a fan of sausage, not even the real-legit-meaty-sausage. I always hate the deep and oftenly bright red colour of beef sausage, and chicken sausage pink-brownish color isn't really appealing too. Sausage is one of the reason I turned to completely-red-meat-free-diet. But this vegan sausage was truly an exception.

Vegan Hotdog - Mimi and Kelly's
Everything on the plate was truly delicious. I was a bit sad when I hold the last bite of my hotdog, thinking when could I fully enjoy a hotdog again...

Now I'm thinking, while typing this line, when would I visit Taiwan again? Taiwan is definitely my top food destination. My Taipei Vegan Tour was amazing and unforgettable. These Mimi and Kelly's limited special dishes cured the longing for legit vegan food that I could only have in Taiwan.

Oh I almost forgot about their desserts!



They have few desserts option like soy milk and pudding. I think their vegan soft ice cream is currently the most popular dessert in the house. To be honest, I don't really buy their desserts since I still enjoy normal desserts with milk and all that in regular basis (I am a fool for cakes and cookies). I tried their soy pudding and it was pretty good.

So if you happen to search for nice, quiet and calm Vegan cafe with super friendly owners in Seoul that speaks English, head to Mimi and Kelly's. Be sure to always check their Facebook page here because they might announce another special limited menu soon!

Business hours
Weekday Pm 03:00~09:30
Weekend Am 11:00~09:30
Off: Every Wednesday(수요일 휴무) 
Address: 종로구 인사동 188-4 1층 (하노이의아침 건물 1층)
MAP: https://goo.gl/cyib5S

No comments:

Post a Comment