Pages

Sunday, December 17, 2017

My Mapo Memories

Looking back through 2017, I realized there are many changes in my life. This time I would like to review the area that I go most often throughout 2017: Mapo-gu.

I lived in Ewha Womans University dorm for a year, and I was so attached to the area. After I moved to Korea University area, I tried to go to different places, but nothing can replace my love for Sinchon and Hapjeong. It is quite time-consuming to go back and forth to Mapo area, but in the end, it is what makes me happy. I even go to Sinchon and Ewha at least 5 times a week this semester as I am taking courses in Sogang and swim at Ewha. 

So this year, my memories are filled with the alleys of Hapjeong and Sangsu, cozy corners in the vegan restaurants in the area and dessert places in Sinchon and Hongdae.

Let me introduce my favorite places. I am skipping Mangwon Market, Hapjeong and Hongdae as I have shared it in the previous posts.

Sogang University 
I took an Italian class here, so I ideally come twice a week. 
Sogang University is quite small, but I love the apparent Catholic atmosphere with Maria hanging in every class. It reminds me of my high school time.

Best thing about Sogang? Its proximity to Daeheung Station (Line 6). Living in Korea University, there are not many cool places in Line 6 and you have to appreciate this one.


Not to mention my love for the fun class(mates)!

Slunch Factory 


A spacy and cozy restaurant located near to Sangsu station.
I am in love with Slunch Factory for its damn cute menu and vegan options.




 I accidentally found it while passing by. Sadly I did not get to be seated right away as it gets quite busy during lunch and dinner time.


Ingredients are fresh, the menus are quite creative. I like the staffs, they are friendly.

Cook and Book

I am in a love-hate relationship with this place. For me, a vegan place must be friendly. Period.

But Cook and Book staff keep changing and my first experience was not so good. She was cold and seemed hesitant to take my orders. Regardless, they offer different menus every week and only open for limited business hours (Thu-Sun).



The place before remodeling offers homy vibes. 

Vegan lasagna
I recently reviewed their vegan lasagna on my Youtube channel. Check them out. 

Sukkara (Hongdae)


I am not sure how to start, Sukkara is just perfect.

remember the open market?
It offers vibes that I rarely find in Korea. It feels like the traditional market back home and I can sit there for hours doing nothing. I am reserving a special post for Sukkara later on.

I checked that they do many community events too. I should try to come next year.

Menu

They use organic stuff. Quite pricey but worth every sip of it.


My lemon love
I am not gonna say much as I will be writing a more comprehensive write-up on Sukkara later.

Honorable mention
Home
Eventually, my attachment to Mapo leads me back. I decided to move to Mapo. It was a huge decision, as I am still a full-time student at Korea University with the heavy class load and responsibility that entails. Many factors made me decide to choose Mapo, firstly is for its convenience. Mapo is VERY strategic and easy to get to anywhere (well depends on which part, but I cannot say the same about my university area). 

Finding a house was not easy but I love how there are endless options for my low budget. I feel like it is a rational choice as I usually go to school 4 times a week (Mon-Thu), yet I had to go to Sinchon and Ewha for swimming and Italian class 5 times a week (Mon-Fri). I would also have a better commuting time to elsewhere during the weekend.

So to wrap up, my best memory in Mapo this year is probably moving in. I love my house and I appreciate every single process that I had to go through. It was not easy, trust me. But it is totally worth it to say that I want to live here for the rest of my stay in Korea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment