Pages

Monday, May 29, 2017

The Wonders of Mangwon Market 망원시장

I am not a fan of a traditional market but I am always dying to go back to *several* market in Korea, one of them is Mangwon Market. It is located in Mapo, near the Mangwon Station (line 6), Seoul. It was very near to Ewha, where I lived for a year. But now that I live in Anam, I have to think multiple times before going there.

What is so special about this market?


Well, nothing huge, nothing fancy. But I loooove the food. I am not talking about a specialized food, it is just simply my favorite: the 2500won Kalguksu. I can't even get a proper lunch box with 2500 around my school so this is a real deal.


The canteen is a modest 고향집 with seating for about 30 people inside. They also expanded the area a bit in the outside. Their customers are mostly elderly and everyone seems to be a returning customer.

Gohyangjib Menu
You gotta order and pay in front up cash. Yes, it is very rare for a Korean store not to accept card but it does not decrease the charm of this place. The most expensive menu is only 5000won.


A huge hot bowl of this wonderful noodle would definitely satisfy your craving. I also love how they provide spicy sauce and fresh kimchi, along with pepper and salt. This is not the norm in Korea.

I also tried their Sujebi or handmade-dough that looks like ravioli. Not bad but I prefer the original Kalguksu better. You can add 1000won for more noodle or upgrade to perilla kalguksu too. Their other menu is bibimbap, the mixed veggie rice, and cold noodle.

Although I guarantee that you will be full after a bowl of this wonderful Kalguksu, you must not miss the multi flavor chicken! They have the normal sweet and spicy, 깐풍 (hot pepper), cheese, white cream and the most mindblowing taste: fruit. Yes, chicken with fruit sauce.



I am actually quite used to orange chicken. But they put it as 'fruit' taste. I am not sure which fruit do they mean. Apple chicken? Banana chicken? What?

small cup or maybe, two chicken?
The chicken is served in many different sizes, ranging from ultra slim cup for 3000 won till two-ekor-chickens for less than 20000. The 4000won cup is ideal for one and even the one-chicken-size is not that big for two. Well, buy according to your need. My best piece of advice is: make sure you get the right taste.

I tried the spicy, white cream and fruit chicken. Maybe I am not that adventurous with taste as the spicy one was clearly the best. The white cream taste gets old and weird after a few bites and the fruit chicken just does not do well. I am not that sensitive with fruits, I bet this must be some kind of berry.

Chicken Ass
I am no longer surprised with what comes next: the ass. Chicken ass. I've seen it in Suwon and I am not gonna try it. In case you missed it, here is the ass(es) that was served on my plate last year.

So if you find yourself around Mapo and feel like eating something good for extremely cheap price, head to Mangwon Market! Highly recommended!

1 comment:

  1. Hi does the kalguksu broth contain any pork ingredients?

    ReplyDelete